Saturday, August 11, 2018

Concepts of Economics


Consumer Surplus
Consumer surplus can be defined as difference between the price customer is willing to pay and the price customer had paid.

Example 1:
A handmade colt gun comes at the auction. Gun experts at auction have valued at not more than Rs 1000.Bidding for the gun starts from Rs 100 and reaches up to Rs 980 which was offered by one of the gun expert. Therefore, it can be said that Rs 20 (Rs 1000-Rs 980) is consumer surplus.

Example 2:
A company before initial public offering announces price range between Rs10 and Re 1. After closure of the offer the company decides to fix the price at Rs 6. Therefore, company allots shares to the person who applied @ Rs 6 and more. Number of people who were willing to pay Rs 7 or more got the shares at lower price thereby achieved consumer surplus.


Production possibility Curve


Production possibility curve is a hypothesis representing different amount of two different goods that can produced by shifting labour and other resources from production of one to another.

Example 1:
I am able to solve 2 problems on accountancy and 1 problem on statics per hour. I can practice for 6 hours in a day therefore, i have the option of solving 12 problems of accountancy and 0 problems of statics. Or she can solve 6 problems of accountancy and 3 problems of statics. Hence different possibilities can found by shifting available hours between accountancy and statics.

Example 2:
A barber provides two types of service: haircut and saving. He could give saving to 4 people and haircut to two people in one hour. His shop is open for 12 hours therefore, different possibilities can found by shifting available hours between haircut and saving.


Producer Surplus
Producer surplus can be termed as difference between selling price of seller and minimum price at which a seller is willing to sell the product or service.
Example 1:
I had accidentally purchased a stamp which had some  incorrect spelling, therefore I kept it as memory. But after some time I discovered it to be valued at Rs 3000 from expert. When I listed it on ebay I got an offer of Rs 5000. I got surplus of Rs 2000 (Rs5000-Rs3000).

Example 2:
I bought 10 new Rs 5 note from a friend in exchange of Rs 60. therefore he earned a  producer surplus of Rs 60 because he received from his father free of cost.


Opportunity Cost
It can be defined as a forgiven uses due to purchase of current item.

Example 1:
My father had to invest huge amount of money in PGDM education which he might have used in expansion of his business.

Example 2
I have to invest time  
on studies instead I have the option of utilizing time to spend with friends or go to relative’s place.


Diminishing Marginal Utility
Diminishing marginal utility can be defined as reduction in utility or satisfaction from successive consumption of similar goods or service

Example 1:
When I see a movie for 1st time I get great satisfaction but it keeps on reducing on viewing the same movie over and over. 

Example 2:

When I was in 7 standard I was given “MilkBikis” biscuit every day in tiffin as result my satisfaction reduced to such a level that I was not able to taste “Milkbikis “ biscuit for many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

IMPACT OF SOCIETY /SOCIAL GROUPS ON PURCHASE INTENTIONS OF HOME BUYING- Consumers are the most important factor that will make any bus...