Saturday, August 25, 2018

The Invisible Force of Economics


The locality I live in happens to have one of the famous Chat Centre in Kolkata. Bandana Chat Centre Located in Girish Park is famous for its “Puchka”, what it’s called in Kolkata, infamously known as “Paanipuri”. Many childhood memories are attached to this place and its food.
Many People do not regard food as a vital part of economics. The eating habits does follow a pattern of consumption. Consumption is not the showstopper of economics in regards to food. Many forces come into act, which comes under the concept of economics.
There was one incident that heavily relate to Five basic and important concepts of Economics.
It was during Durga Puja, I went to this place and happened to discover (which I have heard earlier from someone but did not believe) that they have introduce a new product “Suji Puchka”. They were originally serving “Atta Puchka”. This time I tried the “Suji Puchka” instead of “Atta Puchka”. This time I didn’t know that I was facing a concept of economics, OPPORTUNITY COST which is the “Atta Puchka”. That day I went there to see if the rumours were true, “Suji Puchka” was my INCENTIVE, another concept of Economics which I unknowingly experienced. As I was very fond of “Atta Puchka” I had 2 quantities of “Atta Puchka” also and there I experienced INDIFFERENCE CURVE, because I had given up 4 quantities of “Atta Puchka” to have 4 quantities of “Suji Puchka” instead, where earlier I used to have 6 quantities of “Atta Puchka”. When I started eating the “Suji Puchka”, the first bite I had was very satisfying but as I went on consuming more “Puchkas” my satisfaction started to reduce and in turn I experienced LAW OF DIMINISHING MARGINAL UTILITY. I also thought of having “Sandesh” because this time I was carrying more money. I would have had more of “Suji Puchka” but because of INCOME AND SUBSTITUTION EFFECT, I had to allocate my income with respect to substitute products.

No comments:

Post a Comment

IMPACT OF SOCIETY /SOCIAL GROUPS ON PURCHASE INTENTIONS OF HOME BUYING- Consumers are the most important factor that will make any bus...