Friday, September 14, 2018

Aha !! Now I understood why I was charged so high for the flight ticket.Thanks to economics.


Unknowingly the concept of price discrimination had already hit me. Lets see how

My friend and I took admission for PGDM course in a college in Bangalore. We both took the admission in the same time. But my friend is always in a hurry for everything. So just as the date of joining got confirmed he did not wait for a single moment to book the flight ticket. But I thought I would book later. Days went by and suddenly I remembered that I did not book the flight tickets and only 20 days are left. So I booked the ticket quickly. My friend and I booked the same flight for the same economy class but the difference is that I was charged Rs. 10,000 and he was charged Rs. 4000. I was shocked.
How????
Thanks to economics. It has got the answer. Its just the concept of first and third degree of price discrimination.
First degree states that company will charge the maximum price the consumer is willing to pay. See here. Since I have to join my college in time my demand was purely inelastic and so I would pay whatever the price would be and the company just used this.
Third degree states that company will change the prices depending on different market segments which includes time of use. Here in my case if I had booked my ticket earlier I would have got in a lower price but the time when I booked made my demand inelastic which the air company took the advantage of.

No comments:

Post a Comment

IMPACT OF SOCIETY /SOCIAL GROUPS ON PURCHASE INTENTIONS OF HOME BUYING- Consumers are the most important factor that will make any bus...