Saturday, September 1, 2018

Conceptual Understanding Of Income And Substitution Effect On Consumption Of Products


Income and Substitution Effect

Income Effect

Income effect occurs when there is rise in income of the customers or declines in price of the good. It is basically the change in consumption pattern due to change in purchasing power of the customers. It happens due to income increase or price change.

For Example, I am consuming 4 eggs/day, which costs me 32 Rs. i.e. my income to spend on eggs. Now I got an increment in my income due to which my disposable income on eggs rises to Rs. 40/day. So due tom this I am able to consume 1 more egg/ day. So now I consume 5 egg/day.

In short, as my income increases I started consuming more of a product than I was consuming earlier due to low income.

Substitution Effect

Substitution Effect occurs due to change in consumption pattern because of change in relative prices of goods or substitute goods.

For Example, I have two vehicles, one runs on petrol and other runs on diesel. So as the price of petrol rises, I started consuming more of diesel vehicle then petrol vehicle, whereas when price of diesel rises I stared consuming more of petrol vehicle due to limited income & availability of substitute product at lower price. (Petrol as substitute of diesel and vice versa).

In short, substitution effect happens due to availability of similar product at cheaper prices or due to consumption of a product by the consumers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

IMPACT OF SOCIETY /SOCIAL GROUPS ON PURCHASE INTENTIONS OF HOME BUYING- Consumers are the most important factor that will make any bus...